[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Boring National? What the ????

  • From: "Liane Fossland" <lfossland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <michel.chaloux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'showlist'" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:21:07 -0700

Hello Michel,
I am sorry that you were dragged into this unpleasant situation. I think all
of the exhibitors as well as the visitors have a clear picture of your and
Cappy's knowledge of ring procedure which was absolutely flawless according
to many who watched you. Unfortunately I was unable to attend this year's
National but had enough feedback from Evan Ginsburg through the Blog to know
how well you and Cappy controlled and enhanced the proceedings in your ring.
Please be assured that all of us recognized the difference and enjoyed your
judging.
Lee F.

De : showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]De la part de David Fritsche
Envoye : 11 novembre 2008 11:30
A : showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : [ SHOWGSD-L ] Boring National? What the ????

YOU are so right Christine.? Would I be saying this if my
dog was GVx again, perhaps- as I feel the "show?" part of
this Nationals was sadly degraded.??
Perhaps those that are making these decisions for our judges
should be re-examined.
Tari Kridler
I was not at the National and am still depressed about that,
so I cannot comment on the judging, procedures or atmosphere
of the shows...

I can comment on the selection of judges however. Any Board
Member may nominate judges for the national or a judge may
run by petition. The nominating is open to suggestions from
anyone and often there are only a few nominated. The
petition process is open to anyone and helps to broaden the
perspective and scope of the nominating process. So, anyone
can run and anyone can contact their favorite judge and get
them to run.

The ultimate choice is by the ballot cast by the members. So
you and I elect the judges. There are some problems with
this system:
1. Members vote for judges by name recognition without being
actively involved in conformation shows and having
experienced the judging beforehand.
2. We all disagree as to what is good judging and who are
the best judges.
3. We think that by spreading it around and having new
judges do it, we will have better judging. Maybe - or maybe
not, as the case may be!
4. I am not empowered to choose the judges all by myself!!!!
<g>

All of us have set ringside and wondered what in the heck
that person in the ring is thinking, while someone else on
the other side of the ring thought it was the epitome of
class judging. Winning does influence our opinions of good
judging.

While some criticize the rotation of a few judges repeatedly
judging the nationals, it may be that they have earned the
right by doing a great job and earning the votes of the
members. Then, there are the off years when our more favored
and competent judges are ineligible when we do not quite
know what will happen.

Who should we blame for that? They won the election, so I
suppose we blame ourselves!

Just my take on it.
Dave

Scanned by iolo AntiVirus 1.5.5.5