[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Best age to neuter

  • From: Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx
  • To: msmarchin@xxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 23:19:16 EDT

In a message dated 5/13/2009 4:41:21 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
msmarchin@xxxxxxxx writes:
> Is there any reason that an intact male couldn't do these activities? I
> think she should wait to neuter him but she says that her Vet is pushing her
> to do it.
   Of course an intact male could do any activity his owner required!
Neutering will not improve their brains.  Vets always push early neutering...I
guess it's their little bit to try and stem overpopulation, but it's not a
wise thing to do.  The dog needs to develop hormonally before castration in
order to become the dog he was meant to be.
     Example:  I once sold a puppy to some wonderful folks who listened to
their vet against my advice and neutered him when he was four months old.
When he grew up, their question was "why is he so much leggier than your
dogs?"  He was a gangly, tall, string bean.  Huge, but stringy.  Ugly.
     Think what would happen if a human boy were castrated at a very young
age....he would never develop that low voice, hair on his chest, muscle
mass, etc.  Similar with dogs.  Anyway, just my two cents......hope dog and
owner will be very happy together in any case...
     Jamie