[ SHOWGSD-L ] Texas HB 3180 Affects Everyone -NOT a Commercial Breeder Bill

  • From: "Ellen Penington" <epeningt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <CHGermanShepherdShowDogsList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 21:10:00 -0600

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Search/DocViewer.aspx?K2DocKey=odbc%3a%2f%2fTLO%2fTLO.dbo.vwCurrBillDocs%2f81%2fR%2fH%2fB%2f03180%2f3%2fB%40TloCurrBillDocs&QueryText=hb+3180&HighlightType=1

If you are from Texas please contact your Senator.  If you are not...know
that this is what is coming to you:

I am somewhat upset that our Texas Coalition did not pick up on this and
alert us:..................

I just contacted by Senator. Please contact yours. This is urgent. Here is
what I wrote. Plese feel free to copy and change as you see fit and get it
your Senator today, tomorrow and everyday until the vote is taken.

Ellen Penington
El Dorado German Shepherds

Dear Senator Shapleigh,

Please oppose HB 3180 which contains provisions that can financially ruin
anyone
breeding dogs or cats, even if they only breed one litter or less a year.
The
bill requires anyone who sells even one animal to reimburse the purchaser
for up
to 300% of the purchase price for any veterinary costs realized in the first
year after sale for treatment of conditions considered to be genetic or
congenital. Many genetic conditions exist that an animal may comfortabley
live
with its entire life. But many veterinarians will treat these conditions
anyway
even if no symptoms exist. For example, I breed AKC champion show quality
German Shepherds and one of the genetic defects you have to watch for in
German
Shepherds is elbow dysplasia. However, you don't know if a puppy will get
that
condition until it is somewhere between 9 months and two years old. Even if
xrays show a developmental problem in the elbow at that time, it doesn't
mean
the dog will ever in its life have any symptoms from it. If a vet finds the
condition in a young dog they usually will recommend surgery even if the dog
has
no symptoms($$$$$). Elbow surgery can cost THOUSANDS of dollars and I, as a
dealer, would be liable for those costs under this bill if the condition is
found before the dog is one year old. I do the best I can in ensuring I
breed
healthy, happy dogs, but dogs are living beings and I do not control what
genes
the toss of the genetic dice gives them. Even though I make sure both
parents
are clear of genetic defects the offspring can still inherit them. It has to
do
with recessive genes that can be carried by the parents and their is no way
know that. I think it is fair to require breeders to replace a dog if
something
is wrong, but to give a purchaser the power to demand thousands of dollars
in
veterinary costs is not right. This bill is not about a puppy lemon law...it
is
about financially intimidating/ruining anyone who breeds animals.

Respectfuly,

Ellen Penington