[ SHOWGSD-L ] Age Old Ques....Waiting on the good ones

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>, <DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 10:14:34 -0700

I'm not sure I agree with these posts about finishing young dogs.......or not.

We finished BOSS at 18 mos.  CASH about 20 mos.   Both finished in about 5
weekends.
BOOKER we didn't show till later as he is Canadian Bred and HAD to go into
OPEN....so
he was about 2 yrs. when we started him.   So far none have fallen apart
......nor
died.
I realize there is always tomorrow......
I believe Winners Dog at the National last year was about 16 or 17 mos.
.....why NOT
show him?   This year he is Canadian Grand Victor. <G>
My point is......if a dog is good ....he is good enough!   If a 17 mos. old dog
is the
best
dog at the National......good enough for Winners Dog and Select......WHY would
anyone
want to sit home with him???     If he's going to get better...great.... there
is
always
Specials.   If he's going to die young.......or old......showing him young
won't
change
the timing on either IMO.
Showing a young dog at a few shows can be fun....if they WIN......who would
turn it
down??
Showing a dog that is older is great also......many factors come into play as
to why
some
are shown younger or older......with us it has to do with timing of the show
season &
Judges.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

This brings up a good question. Do you think that we tend to show dogs younger
than we
use to in American and Open classes?  It seems that many are finishing before 2
years
of age. I don't think males should be shown until they are 3. They look more
studly at
3. Terry
From: Peggy" <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>To: <DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx>Cc:
<showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>I think if you think about what you just wrote, you will see that the > dogs
>haven't
changed that much....they are just campaigned younger.  > They certainly are
not
faster
 maturing.   Many are still deep bodied and > bulkier when they mature.  I
can't stand
 the look of some of the dogs > today, all legs...they look like salukis with
different
 hair and ears, > some of them.