[ SHOWGSD-L ] Waiting for our times

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:17:42 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/05 9:03:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
pmick@xxxxxxxxx writes:
the dogs  haven't changed that much....they are just campaigned younger.
They  certainly are not faster maturing.

I was reading this thread, and wondered what the truth was. Then I got to
thinking about Dragonslayer, Destiny and Dakota. They were all finished by 16
months old. (As I recall, Dragonslayer was finished by the time of the
national,  but we counted the points wrong).

 Dakota and Destiny were 14 months old when Dakota went Reserve  Winner's Dog
at the national, and Destiny finished by going Winner's Bitch at  that show,
and number two Select. That was 1982.

I remember that so well, because Jerry Guzman handled Destiny in the class
and I showed her to the Select title. It was twenty years later when Mr. Guzman
 again took one of our bitches, Chimes, to Select   I plan to use  him every
twenty years. It seems to work well tha way.

So, from my memory, (which may or may not be correct) 23 years ago, we were
showing the good ones just as young, and they were finishing just as  young.
It seems we show them when ready. I remember X-tra X-tra in the  classes under
Joan Fox.  He sure looked ready.

On the other hand, (I know I need to take more certain positions so I don't
get accused of sitting on the fence all the time) I just love it when the
national has gone four days and we all love the dogs we are seeing. Then comes
Saturday, and it is a different world. I remember when Linda Kury handed me her
 champion to show on Saturday, and he was so magnificent. I looked around me,
and  was stunned at how many dogs were that impressive, and it seemed like
another  sport.  There is not much that compares to a mature German shepherd.

We do show them young, but they all compete together at that age. We could
wait, but how many of us can have so many dogs that we can enjoy the sport and
yet wait years to show our best?  I see nothing wrong with campaigning them
when we feel it is right, and then watching them mature, and showing  them as
Specials.

Evan

_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together