[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC survey

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 02:03:12 -0500

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 19:55:33 -0500, "Penny & Bill"
<Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:=20

>But let's call a spade a spade:  The AKC is doing this
>survey to justify what it wants--the almighty dollars
>that will be brought in by allowing mutts to enter
>dog shows. PERIOD

If you guys will go here, it says as much:

http://images.akc.org/pdf/MixedBreedInformationPacket.pdf

On page 6 (Mixed Breed Dog Demographics) it states:

> *Thousands of mixed breed dogs take training
> classes through AKC clubs and independent
> training facilities.

(...that AKC has no control over)

> Based on the 2005-06 APPMA survey, 3%
> of all dogs take training classes annually, which
> equates to approximately 938,000 mixed breeds.

(...who can't compete in AKC events, but CAN compete
in other venues)

> *Mixed breeds compete in hundreds of events
> sponsored annually by alternate registries and
> dog sport organizations

($$$ that ISN'T going into AKC's coffers!! Eureka!)

Immediately following, on page 7, it has a chart of
alternate venues and which sports they offer.

"...UKC holds more than 500 events a year; USDAA, more
than 140 trials; and NADAC, more than 100 trials."

Although I'm totally in favor of allowing mixes to compete
and title, if only because more dogs training and working
hopefully translates into more dogs under control and less
likely to be out biting or terrorizing someone (ergo, less
need for legislation), this isn't being done for the love
of dogs. As Penny stated, just follow the money...  :/

kmc