[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A life....That's the problem?

  • From: Jackie Short <marcatoshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 12:35:59 -0400

EXCELLENT post, Peggy.
As an owner handler, I really get tired of being told that I cannot show my
own bitch.  I really get tired of it being insinuated (or directly said)
that a person is not serious about exhibiting if they want to show their own
dog.

My little bitch has done pretty ok for herself.  No points yet, but she's
young, and she's gone reserve over dogs that handlers have had.  She has
placed in a decent sized class over dogs that handlers have.  I am not
hunting for judges that like owner handlers.  I am not hunting for judges at
all.  I may ask what a certain judge likes if I've never heard of them
before.

A person is NOT less serious about learning about the breed if they want to
show themselves.  If anything, they're probably more serious.  They have to
work harder for their wins it seems.

In the long run, you're likely spending close to the same money finishing
the dog on your own as you are using a handler.  The difference between the
handler and doing it yourself?  Time.  People have a "Get it done and get it
done NOW!" attitude, and if the dog isn't finished before it's two years
old, it's "not a good dog".

Does everybody feel that way?  No.  Of course not.  But many people do
(especially new people) when their puppy is a year old and has one point,
and somebody else has a 9 month old puppy with a 4 point major.  They feel
pressured to finish their dog.

I do not have the money for a handler, and I do not trust other people with
my dogs.  It's not personal.  It's a me thing.  I want my dogs to be in the
house with me, and I want to make sure their manners are maintained.  I do
not want my dogs to get "rusty" on their formal obedience, or agility work.

I also am not willing to run around a ring calling my dog for ears.  It's
just silly.  I'm not willing to be yelled at either, because I'm "not in the
right spot".  And why can't the dog BAIT for ears?  Why do these dogs need
to be doubled on the down and back? More often than not it creates a dog
that drags the handler, crabs, or otherwise acts foolish...you can't see
anything,

I realize that some people need to use handlers, whether it is due to age,
health, or some other reason, and that is absolutely FINE!  But if there are
new people coming in that want to handle their own dog, people need to *teach
them how* and NOT discourage them from trying!

"She thinks she's going to finish that bitch herself."

I hear it a lot, when people think they're whispering.  Well, yes....I
will.  And if she never finishes, she never finishes.  But I bought my dog
for ME, and other people bought their dog for the same reason, not to hand
it off to somebody they don't know.

And there is nothing wrong with that.
--
Jackie & Jonathan Nguyen Marcato German