[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 3 year old child bitten by dog

  • From: myjoygs@xxxxxxx
  • To: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:03:33 -0400

My granddaughter was bit in the face by a dog when she was 18 months old at the
babysitters by their husky.  The dog should not have been around the child as
the owner knew it has some temperment problems.  but her quote "he was doing so
much better".  The dog was laying on the floor by the sliding glass doors, my
granddaughter was standing at the sliding glass door and the next thing, the
dog had her face.  It was sickening to see her face afterwards, that dog had
its teeth in her from the bridge of the nose to the chin.  Thankfully it wasn't
any worse then it was and thanks to a good surgeon, you would barely know it
happened, she will probably need another surgery for a scar at the bridge of
her nose.  It was horrific to see her.  Thankfully it was at a young age and
she doesn't have any fear of dogs and actually loves them.

Now for the part of the kid hitting the dog, while it is the responsibility of
the parents to teach their children how to treat dogs and it is the
responsibility of the person watching the child, things to happen, one of my
dogs was around a group of us and we were all talking and my 2 year old nephew
was around, I heard the dog whimper and looked and my nephew had his finger in
her eye, she did not snap, bite or do anything to that child and I quickly
rescued her.  The point being if the dog is totally sound it will not harm a
child, that is what I believe and I am sticking to it.  If you are not sure of
the an animals soundness around children then it should not be around them
period or if its me and a child approches one of my dogs and I am not a 100%,
sure my hand is right there by the muzzle while they pat them.

  Just my point of view