[ SHOWGSD-L ] dog attacks

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:27:19 -0700 (PDT)

No matter how much I get scruffed by the list, and no matter how many examples
of dogs attacking you show me, I know, cause I make money doing it, that most
dogs just need a decent leader.

  I also know about 1/2 the people I, me, I work with can't do it.  I do the
best I can to explain why the dog should not sleep in bed, all dogs, yours in
particular, and I do my best to get people to treat their dogs like dogs and
not like people.  Dogs don't understand our communications nearly as well as
they understand us when we use their communications.

  People pay me for what I have learned through books and experience and
working with other trainers.

  I have a good track record, for those who listen, at least.

  I get accosted in the grocery store and asked to move in with my clients
often enough to know who does the work and who does not.

  Until any one person has lived with a truely tough dog, the need for alpha
rolls is not clear.

  I had a Dorthy Wade Rottie.  She was not selling this bitch, with a cross
bite, to anyone until she met me.  This bitch Chia, was a trial, but never ever
ever ever bit a person. Got at one neighbor dog once, my lead broke.  But I
kept her carefully and I watched her bahavior around everyone, even my own
family, cause she has seizures that caused agression, and nearly all of them
were over trying to get at other dogs (its in the standard!) and she would turn
around and keep going, at me.  She did not want to bite me but she had no
control at that point.  She was a hard to own dog, and when the time came I got
a GSD rather than deal with the hard headedness of Rottie's again.

  I do alpha roll, when I feel it is necessary.  I teach it, when I am sure it
needs to be used.  Even the vet's Dachie needs a few now and then, and she is
overall, a soft dog, but she has her moments.  They are fewer than they were
before I stepped in, but it is still necessary at times with her.

  I welcome anyone to call my vet, 305-595-1450 and ask them what they think
about me and my methods.

  It comes down to training.  And now, as an adult, having raised 2 pups
exclusivly in my home and having taken the 3rd one back, I can say I can give
them a look and it is over.  If I can get them to look at me.  If not, I can
just "bite" and they stop.  But they are tuned to me so well that it is easy.

  The Rottie was 14 months, Liddy was 7 months, Dexter was 3 months, when each
came to me.  Even the 3 months with his litter and breeder, made him not as
easy to train as my pups.  And 2 of the pups are would-be alpha's.  I see it in
their eyes all the time.  They would gladly take over my spot if I were weak.

  Bucko, for all he is sick, has no use for anyone who is not feeding him or
opening a door.  He loves us, but is above our affection.  He will let my kids
do ANYTHING to him, but he does not care to admit to anything.

  Bertha would be dangerous if I had not gotten her back.  Yes, she has the
right to sniff people before they pet her.  So do all my dogs.  Once that is
over with, she could care less about anyone.  If they pester her for affection,
she will step back.  But considering how dangerous she was when I got her back,
I won't complain.  I do work to make her as civil as can be done.  But she is
like Bucko for the most part.  She does not care about the universe, unless it
will give her a treat.  And I don't keep treats, or use them in any of my
training, with exception, but not often.

  Sissy is not worth discussing here, she is very soft.

  It is training, any damn training is better than none, but teaching people
that dogs are not like plastic cups, and they are not like cute human kids,
and they are not given to speaking human language at all.  They are animals who
have their own communication system, their own feelings, and they DO NOT RUN
SOCIETY.  We do.

  If my methods did not work I would not be expanding business, I would be a
secretary somewhere.

  Now the my boys are older, I am ready to do more with my business.  And not
having show dogs makes it easier to expand, I have the time.

  It is trianing training training.  But dogs take cues from people. So it is
training people that makes the difference.

  I visited a Bichon that ruled the house.  I called his bluff and he was
terrified of me, I did not hurt him, I just did not obey him either.  His
owners were terrified of him.  They never changed.

  I worked with a pit bull that would have been fine, if he had any leadership
at all.  He had none, and was clearly going to hurt someone.  I said put him
down.  I knew they would never do the right thing by him and I am sure he is
still a threat to his family and the public.

  I worked with a 7 year old GSD that had no training.  He corrected his owner
for trying to correct him.  I said put him down before he bites the wife.  Of
course they did not.

  A Lab that was brutalizing the wife, I said put him down or give him to the
police, he is very trainable, but not by you.  And he is dangerous to everyone,
especially you the owner!!!

  There are dogs who will never be in the hands of people who can manage them,
they should  be put down, for safety and because it is clear that no one will
do the work necessary.  I cannot take in every tough dog.  I can't take any of
them.  I have my own.

  If people won't do the work the dogs are dangerous.

  Another client with a Ridgeback.  She loves the dog, and does not want to
send her back to the breeder for rehoming with no kids.  So she does the
work!!!!  She is within a month of having her second kid.  The dog pays no mind
to the first, and therefore steps on him often.

  Now, my client crates the dog when she needs to, for any reason, walks the
dog daily to be sure she is worn out some.  And she forces the dog to obey when
needed.  She had slipped and let the dog go, things were going very wrong.  Now
things are going right again, cause I stepped in and reminded her what the dog
needs.

  The dog may go back to the breeder for a time, to make life easier when the
baby comes home, but they will not give up, they would rather do the work.
They are on my reference list.

  No dog is completely at fault for either good or bad behavior, it is the
people who are responsible for the dog's behavior.  And they are liable for the
dog too.

  I cannot stress training enough.  I cannot stress the pack enough.  And I
cannot stress knowing your dog's basic pack position enough.  Knowing what your
dog thinks of himself is where it begins.

  You who do not have to alpha roll ever have not had a truely tough dog yet.
You may one day, and you may never have to deal with it.  I make a point of
dealing with tough dogs.  No one else in my area will, except for the
protection trainers here.  Most people don't want that, they want a nice doggy.

  sheila