[sac-board] Re: Projector for SAC

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC-Board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:16:41 -0700

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:52:08 -0700, Steve Coe wrote:

> This request would restart the entire process.  An XGA projector will
> cost at least 1500 dollars and mostly up.
>
> I you have found a projector with XGA capabilities for a more reasonable
> price, I would like to hear about it.  We have been using the borrowed
> projector at VGA resolution for all this time and there have not been
> any problems and the display has been quite good.  I don't know if we
> are willing to afford more.

If we don't have an XGA projector, then speakers will still have to bring
a projector for their presentations.

If they still need to bring a projector, why do we need to buy one?

And restart what process?  The $1000 was meant for the possibility of
finding a good projector for that amount (possibly used).

VGA  = 640x480
SVGA = 800x600
XGA  = 1024x768
SXGA = 1280x1024
UXGA = 1600x1200

Does anyone reading this use a resolution less than XGA (for everyday
use)?

If we go less than XGA, images and presentations will be down-sampled,
possibly not well (or not at all, which might have been the case with the
GCU projector).

Has anyone made a list of requirements that we should try to fill?
Brightness might not be a problem, since we can control the light in the
room, but we might want the image to be visible even with the lights on.
Do we want the projector in the front of the room, or in the back with the
slide projector?  How much are replacement bulbs?

I might be willing to allow SAC to choose a SVGA projector now, with the
understanding that we'll be purchasing a higher resolution projector in
two to three years.