[sac-board] Re: Projector for SAC

  • From: SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:33:57 EST

Paul,

Might I remind you that you do not have the authority to "allow" anything.
Your input is welcome however your comments seem to take a condescending tone
implying you are the only one qualified to make this decision. That is up to
the membership at large based on the boards recommendation.

Frankly I don't understand your comment that speaker will need to bring a
projector based on Steve comment that we have been using VGA in the past. I
don't recall any additional projectors in the room. Sure, it'd be nice to have
champagne equipment, but we really have a budget for beer, so lets temper our
wants with our resources.

And please in the future, keep mind of how your comments will come across  to
people, it really does not help your point of view to tick people off. ( I
speak for myself here).

Clear Skies

Rick Tejera

Editor  SACnews
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Phoenix,  AZ
SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx
www.saguaroastro.org

In a message dated 1/26/2005 7:17:32 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

If we  don't have an XGA projector, then speakers will still have to bring
a  projector for their presentations.

If they still need to bring a  projector, why do we need to buy one?

And restart what  process?  The $1000 was meant for the possibility of
finding a good  projector for that amount (possibly used).

VGA  = 640x480
SVGA  = 800x600
XGA  = 1024x768
SXGA = 1280x1024
UXGA =  1600x1200

Does anyone reading this use a resolution less than XGA (for  everyday
use)?

If we go less than XGA, images and presentations will  be down-sampled,
possibly not well (or not at all, which might have been  the case with the
GCU projector).

Has anyone made a list of  requirements that we should try to fill?
Brightness might not be a problem,  since we can control the light in the
room, but we might want the image to  be visible even with the lights on.
Do we want the projector in the front  of the room, or in the back with the
slide projector?  How much are  replacement bulbs?

I might be willing to allow SAC to choose a SVGA  projector now, with the
understanding that we'll be purchasing a higher  resolution projector in
two to three years.