[ryerson_index] Re: how do I index this

  • From: John Graham <johngrah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ryerson_index@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 12:18:24 +1000

Margaret,

Strictly speaking, the rules say we have to treat the info in brackets as a nickname, because it is to the right of the comma.

However, we've accepted for a while now that applying this hard and fast rule can lead to silly results in some cases, like this one.

The information in brackets is clearly an alternate name, and can be indexed as such.

Indexers have discretion in these cases.

John

How do I index this notice.

Do I put.

FISHER, Grace Mercy and then in other name Van BEERS, Helen. The name in brackets doesn't sound like a nickname,
or do I put it in brackets like the notice.

Margaret.

[]

GIF image