[ryerson_index] The use of brackets in names

  • From: John Graham <johngrah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryerson_index@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 17:14:35 +1000

We have a standard that says a given name, which is not the actual name of the deceased, goes in brackets.

That leads to entries like "SMITH, (Mrs John)" and "JONES, (Sister Paul)". Nicknames are a logical extension of this standard.

Lately, I've corrected a number of cases where the entry has been something like "BROWN, (Mr W)". This is wrong on two counts: firstly, "W" is almost certainly the initial of his given name, so it should not be in brackets. Secondly, we don't usually index titles, so "Mr" shouldn't be there. The correct entry is just "BROWN, W".

There is only one circumstance where "Mr" is valid - when we have an un-named male, he can be indexed as either "BLACK, (un-named male)", or "BLACK, (Mr)" if we wish to indicate an adult male. Either is accepted.

John