[rsc] Re: MICA text

  • From: Gwylene Gallimard and Jean-Marie Mauclet <jemagwga@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:28:13 -0500

I agree that the text in italic may be pretty confusing at first. That is its intent: to present the confusing artist mind in action at every stage of the work. This was an important part of the first text that I initiated. We may look at it the same way we see a collage with no words. Is a collage confusing? yes and it may be why the interpretation of it, or mostly parts of it, will depend on who is looking at it and projecting his/her own sensibility, therefore enriching its potential. It is not only a question of beauty or clarity. If we want to change the place of the artist in our culture it seems to me that the texts are also a place where our expression needs to join the analytical logical expression.

That said i really agree that the flier fulfill a different purpose and should be a document offering services. It is an advertisement with a purpose.

Thanks all who brought their comments.
Gwylene

On Feb 26, 2008, at 3:26 PM, Kathie de Nobriga wrote:

My comments.
I appreciate the hard work that you all have put into it, but I'm feeling Nayo's presence when I say that a lot of it is pretty dense, and the italic part is just downright confusing. I don't have anything to offer to 'fix it' and it may not need fixing, given the audience that this is for. I looked quickly at the brochure, and would only say, let's make it more clear that we are available for hire, fees negotiable, length of time negotiable...I don't think we have to put a specific fee in there -- I know there was a lot of discussion about that in the last call, but we do need to be upfront about looking for places to practice our craft. And get paid for it.

I have March 7 on my calendar, 4:30 eastern, and will try to make the call, even though I am in the maelstrom known as the NPN office.

To: rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Carolyn Morris Morris; Carlton Turner
Subject: [rsc] MICA text

Here is the text Hope and I have been working on to present at the
Maryland Institute Convening on Community Arts. Please read it and
give us your comments as soon as possible. You will recognize many
lines as it is an attempt to represent a lot of RSC work over the
past years, not in a straight historical manner but in keeping our
mind puzzled and in action. Please let us know. Thanks so much. Gwylene

Gwylene Gallimard, Jean-Marie Mauclet
www.fastandfrench.org
(843) 723 1018

--

Kathie deNobriga
PO Box 1087

"To stumble is not to fall, it's just a way to move forward more quickly."
       Ben Cohen, co-founder Ben & Jerry's

"If you fall down, do it again 2 more times. They'll think it's part of the choreography."
   Nick Condos, tap dancer extraordinaire

Visit the Community Arts Network and APInews! <www.communityarts.net>
<MICA convening3-5.doc>