[rsc] Re: MICA text

  • From: Kathie de Nobriga <kdenobriga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:48:55 -0500

Gwylene,
I love this explication, but I think we should share it with the reader in some way.....or simply in the description of the italicized bits, use the word "collage" (maybe you do, I'm not able to access the whole text right now). --- I know how to look at a collage if I know that's what it is, otherwise I'm trying to use a different logic to interpret/experience it. I think fundamentally, it's about giving me a tool to access the work of art.....should I need a tool? maybe not, but when faced with something unfamiliar, I feel more confident about my ability to engage with the work in a way that doesn't make me feel somehow lacking...
Hey, we're having a conversation about Aesthetics!!! whaddya know!

I agree that the text in italic may be pretty confusing at first. That is its intent: to present the confusing artist mind in action at every stage of the work. This was an important part of the first text that I initiated. We may look at it the same way we see a collage with no words. Is a collage confusing? yes and it may be why the interpretation of it, or mostly parts of it, will depend on who is looking at it and projecting his/her own sensibility, therefore enriching its potential. It is not only a question of beauty or clarity. If we want to change the place of the artist in our culture it seems to me that the texts are also a place where our expression needs to join the analytical logical expression.

That said i really agree that the flier fulfill a different purpose and should be a document offering services. It is an advertisement with a purpose.

Thanks all who brought their comments.
Gwylene

--

Kathie deNobriga
PO Box 1087

"To stumble is not to fall, it's just a way to move forward more quickly."
        Ben Cohen, co-founder Ben & Jerry's

"If you fall down, do it again 2 more times. They'll think it's part of the choreography."
        Nick Condos, tap dancer extraordinaire

Visit the Community Arts Network and APInews! <www.communityarts.net>