[rollei_list] Re: why I'm not digital

  • From: scottlanes@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:32:00 -0400

i was slow to switch to digital, and i do understand that there are many issues
that are still evolving, but as a pro shooter i have to say that it has
fundamentally changed the way i shoot for the better. My Canon 20d has replaced
35mm for good. Subjective image assesments aside, the truth is that the final
product looks as good or better than 35mm when its printed in a glossy
magazine, which as a pro, is all that really matters for most commercial work.
I still shoot film when i shoot with my Rollei, but at this point its more a
matter of me not being able to afford a digital back than prefering film
(except for black and white, i still dont think digital comes close there).
Plus, the client can see exactly what the image looks like at the shoot, they
dont have to look at a polaroid and try to imagine what its going to look like
on Fuji 50 even though 669 has totally different colors.

So if you eliminate most of the pro market, and most of the snapshot market
(which is largely digital at this point i would guess) there simply isnt enough
demand for a big company to keep the film lines open. That does suck for the
guys who like shooting film.

And i agree with what others have posted about the guitar analogy, its not like
any yahoo can pick up a digital camera and start getting beautiful shots, you
still have to know how to make a good photo. Believe me, if i picked up a
Fender and started bashing away in the studio no one would buy the CD. :-) I
think that real talent doesnt lie in any 1 medium (film, digital, 20x24
polaroid), but in the actual image itself.

-scott

http://www.ScottLanes.com