[rollei_list] Re: why I'm not digital

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:57:43 +0100

I'm not sure I agree with you here. getting the exposure right is no different between film and digital. If one uses autofocus (I rarely do) the effectiveness depends on the camera, not whether it is digital or not. Why do you believe there is any difference with regard to composition when photographing digitally rather than with film?
I have been delighted by my digital results. They are very much better than I had been expecting. I do not like the ergonomics of the Canon SLRs with menus rather than dials but reluctantly acknowledge how much easier the body is to style without knobs and how much cheaper to make.

Frank

On 13 Apr, 2006, at 00:20, Marvin Wallace wrote:

Good point. I also really disliked digital, but for the majority of
commercial applications and the work flow advantages it is excellent.
As I live in Hong Kong, which is a very price driven photography market
digital as also "democratized" the poor image. I think that this has taken
place because little technical knowledge is needed to operate a digital
camera and the digital photographer does no have to "mature" as it were with
regards to composition etc like traditional film photographers have had to.
I to like to shoot in black and white, and as far as I am aware digital is
not up to scratch that is not without substantial investment.

-----Original Message----- From: rollei_list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rollei_list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of scottlanes@xxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 10:32 PM To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [rollei_list] Re: why I'm not digital

i was slow to switch to digital, and i do understand that there are many
issues
that are still evolving, but as a pro shooter i have to say that it has
fundamentally changed the way i shoot for the better. My Canon 20d has
replaced
35mm for good. Subjective image assesments aside, the truth is that the
final
product looks as good or better than 35mm when its printed in a glossy
magazine, which as a pro, is all that really matters for most commercial
work.
I still shoot film when i shoot with my Rollei, but at this point its more a
matter of me not being able to afford a digital back than prefering film
(except for black and white, i still dont think digital comes close there).
Plus, the client can see exactly what the image looks like at the shoot,
they
dont have to look at a polaroid and try to imagine what its going to look
like
on Fuji 50 even though 669 has totally different colors.

So if you eliminate most of the pro market, and most of the snapshot market
(which is largely digital at this point i would guess) there simply isnt
enough
demand for a big company to keep the film lines open. That does suck for the
guys who like shooting film.

And i agree with what others have posted about the guitar analogy, its not
like
any yahoo can pick up a digital camera and start getting beautiful shots,
you
still have to know how to make a good photo. Believe me, if i picked up a
Fender and started bashing away in the studio no one would buy the CD. :-) I
think that real talent doesnt lie in any 1 medium (film, digital, 20x24
polaroid), but in the actual image itself.

-scott

http://www.ScottLanes.com

http://www.eset.com

--- Rollei List