[rollei_list] Re: why I'm not digital

  • From: James Davis <jamesd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:28:32 +0100

Peter J Nebergall wrote:

>       But quality isn't the big issue.  Attitude is.  Like pop- rock, digital
> photography is about "right now."  Tomorrow, they'll be wrapping fish in
> "right now."  Its technology, not art.  Remember Windows 95?  Windows
> 3.1?  DOS?  It's Short-Term, baby.....  Grab the bucks and run....  like
> the yuppies that sell it.

*sigh* this isn't about attitude. I don't care for your Rolleiflex, your
Leicas and your Summicrons. All these are as much about photography as
telescopes are about stars, simply necessary tools. I could swap all my
kit with yours and I'm confident I'd still be the worse photographer.

Please don't denigrate any photographer because they produce work using
a digital camera or any other particular tool or technique - judge them
upon their photographs. *Photographs* are exactly what it's about and
all it's ever been about.

I know of no artist who was great only because they used a particular
piece of equipment or used a particular process.

James

--
http://www.freecharity.org.uk/ - Free hosting for charities
http://jamesd.ukgeeks.co.uk/