[rollei_list] Re: ...was Avedon OT Time

  • From: Kenneth Frazier <kennybod@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:22:54 -0500

On Dec 19, 2010, at 10:07 PM, Don Williams wrote:

> n a non-controversial manner applicable to all fields of study has
> consistently eluded the greatest scholars."

I recommend the following:

Henri Bergson, "Duration and Simultaneity, with Reference to Einstein's Theory"

My youngest daughter has a fairly rare inborn metabolic disorder, resulting in
impairment of the brain's sequencing function.  In other words, she has no
sense of "duration."  Otherwise, quite bright, but the inability of the brain
to sequence results in a loss of what we frequently refer to as "time," when
"duration" is really the phenomenon.  So, for instance, she cannot write in
cursive, because that requires the ability to sequence.  But, she can print,
and type, and reads widely, and computers have been her salvation.

Bergson explored this in several of his works, and over the years, as we (her
parents) struggled to assist her, I read widely in this area.

Provides a very helpful way to think about "time."

peace,

Ken
Kenneth Frazier
kennybod@xxxxxx