[rollei_list] Re: still shooting slides! So do I !

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 10:39:27 -0500

Kirk,

I agree with most of what Carlos said although I am not as much a "vivid color" fan as he is (maybe that's because I grew up in Germany where even the fall colors are mostly pastels ;-)).

As for slide shows, I think it's the same with all "performances" you have to do a better than average job to gather people into a room and "force them" to watch your images. Almost every good camera book in the past had suggestions how to do this well (for example Franz Pangerl's 1970 "Rollei 35" booklet I got in the mail yesterday).

I am convinced you could still draw a crowd, if someone was offering professional slide shows in this country a la Walter Benser - who after WWII used two powerful Leitz Pradovit projectors with two huge screens and a carefully crafted script to promote the Leica with his excellent photos all over the World.

Masters of the medium format slide show are Helfried & Renate Weyer. Among others they use Rolleiflex 600x cameras and 6 Hasselblad projectors on a panorama screen for projection. Their website is here: http://www.helfried-weyer.de/ willkommen.html (sorry, German only). Their current slide show itinerary in Germany is here: http:// www.helfried-weyer.de/willkommen.html

(I assume many on this list own Helfried's beautiful coffee table book "Rollei fototechnic" which promotes the Rollei 6008 system.

The brilliance of well-projected medium format slides is just amazing. I doubt that even high end digital projectors like the Leica Pradovit 1200 ($13,999 - discontinued!) can match the projected analog image.
Jan

From: Kirk Thompson <thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: still shooting slides! So do I !
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 13:35:08 -0800
I'm curious (and I really mean curious ? not wanting to start an argument, but really wanting to know): Why not change to color negative film? The color palette is gentler, exposure is not as problematic, and above all, one needn't confine people to a room with a slide projector, which is difficult now that they're accustomed to the Internet. One can go ahead and make a fine print either way, slide or negative, via digital printing ? which is how most prints for gallery exhibitions are made now. What would be the advantages now for slides over negatives, if the outcome is to be a print or a Web post?
Kirk