[rollei_list] Re: still shooting slides! So do I !

  • From: Kirk Thompson <thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rollei List <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 10:27:48 -0800

Thank you, Carlos & Jan.  I accept Carlos' point that one can see a difference
between prints from slides and negatives.  And I also agree that a print from a
slide never matches the experience of the slide itself.  So if (and only if)
people continue in the future to gather for slide projections, this would be a
favorable and attractive medium.
I'm personally happy with inkjet prints from color negatives for two reasons:
One is that like Jan, I usually don't photograph brightly colored scenes, and
thus prefer a gentler color palette.  The other is a stereotype, in the US at
least – that slide projection is an amateur camera club activity, while
printing is an accepted medium for gallery exhibition and print collecting.  As
Carlos pointed out, however, a certain style can be realized best through
scanning slides and printing them.  So I do understand why some photographers
are attached to slide film with this as their objective.
Kirk