[rollei_list] Re: still shooting slides! So do I !

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 21:19:33 -0300

2011/11/7 Kirk Thompson <thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I'm curious (and I really mean curious – not wanting to start an argument,
> but really wanting to know):  Why not change to color negative film?  The
> color palette is gentler, exposure is not as problematic, and above all, one
> needn't confine people to a room with a slide projector, which is difficult
> now that they're accustomed to the Internet.  One can go ahead and make a
> fine print either way, slide or negative, via digital printing – which is
> how most prints for gallery exhibitions are made now.
> What would be the advantages now for slides over negatives, if the outcome
> is to be a print or a Web post?

Hello Kirk:
                I agree with you that the color negative film has a
gentler color palette and more exposure latitude than slide film, it
also allows more details for shadows in general too. That said, slide
film is a positive direct _transparency_ , colors look brighter and
more vivid than the colors in the negative, even for prints. I could
see an impressive Steve Mc Curry  (the famous National Geographic
photographer that shot the last Kodachrome roll) photographs
exhibition some months ago, the very large prints were made with Epson
printers and Epson inks (in fact Epson was one of the sponsors),
prints from Kodachrome looked as prints from Kodachrome and prints
from color negs looked as prints from color negs, prints from
Kodachrome were more attractive for most people in the exhibit because
the brighter, vivid and deeper colors.
I wouldn't use the word "confine" for people watching slides
projections, I would say they are "enjoying" the projection, at least
if the slides are the good ones; it's true people are accustomed to
the Internet, in fact they are confined to a room most of the times
when operating a PC or when watching a digital projection, slides
projection is something new for most of them and people like very much
the image quality, at least this is my experience projecting slides
with the Rollei P11 projector.