[rollei_list] Re: shimming maxwell screens

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:47:39 -0500

At 07:17 PM 7/20/2008, Richard K and Jerry wrote, in part:

Austin,

Nah! I'm more the Beechcraft STAGGER Wing myself! That's because I can't take time-off for a new knee joint operation.

Jerry

When I was a little kid in rural Michigan we lived across a lake from a small general aviation airport. I got so I could identify most of the aircraft I saw. There were actually a couple of stagerwings there. I think Beechcraft also used radial engines so that they sounded different. Someone near the lake had a PBY Catalina and used to land it on the lake and fish out of it. Most of the planes were Piper Cubs, Taylorcraft, small Cessna's, etc, but there a few larger jobs.

---
Richard Knoppow

Richard,

You are missing the main point. Jerry was one of the designers of the PBY and worked on them in San Diego.

On a somewhat different point:
Downtown Airpark, in Oklahoma City, first full-time home of the Aero Commander, and where I worked during High School, learned to fly, and had my first light plane crash (I wasn't flying it); is completely stripped to the ground. Last July when I was back here house shopping they were still overhauling commanders there. Today there is nothing there but the runways, and soon I think there will be condos there. We are in the middle of a housing boom, brought on by the oil and natural gas booms. (Not to mention the donations, about $250 million to date, to our "Other School" by T. Boone Pickins).

The very first Commander, the one without contra-rotating props, is now on display at the OKC fairgrounds, at least the shell of it is. I think they call it "Old Blue". (That plane flew from OKC to Washington DC with one propeller removed, as a demonstration event.)

Jerry, I'm ahead of you. Had both knees done on Dec 7, 2006. Will soon be time for a re-line job.

DAW

Don Williams
909 Kelsi Drive
Moore, OK 73160-0703