[rollei_list] Re: shimming maxwell screens

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:05:32 -0700

Eric et al,

I agree. My method is to set up with the GG screen on the Rollei Plate Back. Check infinity setting. Shim viewing screen to agree with infinity setting. This assumes that both taking and viewing lenses have exactly the same focal length. If not, set the screens to match focus at
your most used distance.

Jerry

Eric Goldstein wrote:
I would not trust the Bill Maxwell/ Dymo tape shimming method to be
foolproof and/or accurate. While the late/great Steve Grimes installed
a Beattie on my 2.8C a few years ago, he said you cannot trust cameras
of this vintage to be consistent enough so that shimming without
direct measurement and collimation is reliable.

Eric Goldstein

--

On 7/20/08, Jordan Wosnick <jwosnick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stephen -- I did install the Maxwell screen myself, so maybe it is the
camera that needs work. I followed Bill Maxwell's instructions, which seemed
clear enough, but this is the first time I've checked the focus.

Apparently it's possible to adjust the viewfinder focus through means other
than shimming. Is this kind of adjustment usually done as part of a CLA? (If
it is, and I find a reasonable place to get a CLA done, I may just go ahead
and do that.)

Jordan

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Stephen Attaway
<stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jordan:

If you want to save some bucks, you can make long narrow shims of paper or
plastic  to fit between the focusing hood and the camera body. One for each
side, Punch little holes in them for two little mounting screws. Its fiddly
to line the shims up, but nothing you can't handle if you have already
swapped screens yourself.
I believe Bill Maxwell used to provide instructions with the screen on how
to do this shimming. That would include the correct shim stock to use.
Here is some rather old contact info I found:
http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index.html  Or maybe
someone on the list has Bill's instructions?
Harry Fleanor points out on his site that a shimmed screen can't be any
more accurate than your original, which might no longer be that great after
50+ years. Better to send it out.
Perfectly true: the 2.8e Planar I sent to Harry now pulls 47 lpmm wide
open, which is better than Modern Photo got with a brand new camera back in
'63.
http://www.rolleirepairs.com/maxscreen.htm