[rollei_list] Re: "different types of black boxes" (was: OT / prove it !)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 17:00:56 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Roberts" <nickbroberts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 7:00 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: "different types of black boxes"
(was: OT / prove it !)

  I think you are assuming something that is not backed up
by the evidence. I think the main reason Zeiss-Ikon used the
Contax type shutter is that they had the design. While the
Contax shutter is much more sophisticated than the Mirroflex
shutter they both operate on the same idea of the gear train
timer. I think the reason Leica did not have a 1/1000th
speed on the earliest FP cameras is that with the slow film
of the time no one would have used it much. Actually, the
Leica design is well suited to fast shutter speeds as is
proven by similar modern shutters with 1/2000th second
speeds or even more. The main problem is the limit on the
speed of the curtains due to their mass and the minimum slit
width that can be used due to diffraction at the slit. For
speeds higher than 1/1000 the speed of the curtains must be
raised. This  is done in modern cameras. It also has the
advantage that flash fill using strobe can be used at higher
speeds because the highest speed at which the entire frame
is exposed at once is greater.
  The fact is that the Leica type shutter acheives the same
end as the Contax with far fewer parts and a much simpler
design. The Contax shutter has little advantage other than
running the short direction and that could be done using a
Leica type shutter if the camera was shaped differently.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx