[rollei_list] Re: "different types of black boxes" (was: OT / prove it !)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 19:08:04 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2005 6:22 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: "different types of black boxes"
(was: OT / prove it !)

> Richard,
>
> I was always told the most sturdy of all the leicas was
> the M3. Now I
> have not worked on cameras so I can say nothing of the
> internals, but
> I have heard over the years that this was the main reason,
> and
> something about the viewfinder don't remember what
> exactly, was the
> reason later Ms were not as popular. Not sure how true
> this may be,
> but it is what I remember hearing years ago.
>
> Peter K

  I think the M3 was not as popular as the M2, at least
among photojournalists, because the built in finder did not
have a mask for 35mm lenses, which are frequently used by
PJs. AFAIK, both the M3 and M2 are very rugged and reliable
cameras. The M4, as has been mentioned here, has too many
adjustments. An electronic designer friend says "anything
adjustable is, by definition, out of adjustment." Otherwise
the M4 has nice features. Rangefinder/viewfinder of the M
series is much more complicated than those on the screw
mount cameras. I've never worked on one but just the
drawings would put me off.
   My one and only personal Leica is a IIIC, which is in
need of a new shutter curtain. Eventually I will have the
time and inspiration to devote to this. Meanwhile I have my
Nikon F for snapshots.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA