[rollei_list] Re: "different types of black boxes" (was: OT / prove it !)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:16:21 -0500

On Friday, April 1, 2005, at 01:15  PM, Douglas Shea wrote:

> (snip)
>
>> Again, it's not about the quality of the PICTURES, it's about the
>> quality of the CAMERA.
>>
>> The Leica, other things being equal, doesn't take any WORSE pictures
>> than any other 35 mm camera. But USING it is a joy! Heck, just
>> LOOKING at it and HOLDING it is a joy.
>>
>> Cheers.
>
> This can be said for many cameras. Having owned an M3 which I later
> gave to my Dad I can say I derive much greater pleasure from using my
> Contax I, II, and IIa cameras that have been restored by Henry Scherer
> then I ever did from the Leica, and I prefer the Zeiss lenses. The
> same can be said for the Alpas I use; quality and "joy" in handling
> that puts Leica to shame...Leica's are nice but that's about all.
> Highly over-rated in my opinion; if I were offered one I'd gladly
> accept it -- I'd love to make another gift to my Dad.

I quite agree about the Alpas. They beat the Leicas hands down in
giving pleasure to the user. They DO put Leicas to shame; I drool just
thinking about them. I have never used a Contax, so I can't say. But I
did use a Contaflex once or twice, and liked it a lot. I used to lust
after the Contarex, afterwards. (I was just a teenager then, however.)

Cheers.

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir>