[rollei_list] Re: Whiteface T with Xenar question

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 04:21:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sanders:
            I copied below two messages Claus Prochnow sent me in 2006 about
the Rollei TLR lense, as Marc wrote, tolerance limits don'mean some lenses can
be better than the tolerance, I guess if Schneider copied the Tessar designing
the Xenar, they also were copying the Tessar improvements they found were true
improvements (the Xenar in my 'cord IV is a terrific lens) :

"Dear Carlos.

Yes it is a classical discussion for the Rollei users: Planar or Xenotar
lenses for the TLR.

The technical specifications in quality control was the same for the Xenotar
and Planar. Monday lenses may be on lower limit than on other days. Zeiss
and Schneider of course use fully the tolerances. Therefore you find people
those of the one or the other lense prefer.
Rollei himself also has bought the Schneider lenses cheaper.

Kind regards from the oldest camera town

Claus"

"Dear Carlos.

I have been 36 years a designer and after that head of mechanic development.
I have no papers and I have hat nothing to do with manufacturing and
control. Don´t ask me.
Of course the high-quality lenses were subjected to a more exact
examination. After completion of the camera, e.g. Rolleiflex 2.8 F, was
exposed a film and the film measured. The lensees were checked at the
so-called "K 6" device manufaktured by Zeiss, also Schneider lenses!!!

The cheaper objectives were checked sample goodly.

Thats I can say.

Regards

Claus"

Carlos