[rollei_list] Re: Whiteface T with Xenar question

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 00:12:26 -0400

At 11:51 PM 3/18/2009, Sanders McNew wrote:
Carlos and Richard, thanks for your replies.  Carlos, are you
certain about your statement that the Tessar and the Xenar
must be identical because F+H's requirements were the
same?  In this instance I'm not so sure of that.

Sanders

It is not as simple as you suggest.

First, Zeiss recomputed the entire Tessar range in the late 1950's. This was primarily done for use on the Contaflex SLR's -- the recomputed Tessars appear on the Super B, Super BC, and S -- but the improved design was extended to the Rolleiflex T. As the recomputed lens appeared in 1962 and the T in 1958, I would suggest that early T's had non-recomputed lenses.

The recomputing was done under the direct of Dr Hans Sauer. Sauer had come up at Carl Zeiss Jena as the protege of Dr Ernst Wandersleb, who himself had been the protege of Dr Paul Rudolph, the designer of the Tessar. Wandersleb spent four decades in working to improve the Tessar and Sauer was part of the last decade or so of that. So, there is a direct link from the original Tessar design. Sauer also designed the five-element Planar as used in the Rolleiflex TLR's and the early Planars for the Hasselblad SLR.

By 1970, Zeiss was desperate to get out of the production of photographic lenses, as they made far more profit from military, industrial, medical, and scientific gear. Thus, when F&H decided to make a final run of T's to meet a contract with the Royal Navy, CZ declined to produce any more Tessars, and F&H then turned to JSK who produced the Xenars in question for that last batch of T's.

Carlos is correct in saying that F&H would establish minimum quality requirements and that the Xenar must have met them as well as did the CZ Tessar. But that does not mean that the Tessar did not exceed these requirements. I would doubt it: JSK is a company who does not make mediocre lenses (well, they DO, but at Göttingen at their ISCO works). I see no reason to believe that the recomputed Tessar and the contemporary JSK Xenar were not on a par in terms of optical performance. But I do not KNOW this as I have never seen any test results such as MTF charts.

Thanks to the courtesy of Bill Lurie from the ZICG, I was recently gifted with a copy of the US National Bureau of Standards Special Publication 374, METHOD FOR DETERMINNG THE RESOLVING POWER OF PHOTOGRAPHIC LENSES (June, 1973), which includes some really nifty resolution charts far superior to the USAF charts we all know -- the charts themselves were drawn in 1952 and were printed by the US Bureau of the Mint on engraving presses. But I've been laid up with some sort of head virus and haven't tested anything yet. And I have no version at all of a T, so I wouldn't be able to help, in any event.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!