[rollei_list] Re: Tri-X developer

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 19:31:41 -0400

At 06:49 PM 5/23/2008, chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for this interesting link. Particularly enjoyed the final paragraph where the merits of silver-halide are succinctly wrapped up. Me, I've only used Rodinal to-date, 1:50 being seductive to my thriftiness. Still, after this article think I might try this HC-110 elixir soon enough.

Gosh. HC-110 is a decent developer but it is rather, well, unspectacular. Richard Knoppow frowns on Rodinal though I love the stuff. Learn on Rodinal and D-76 and then branch out. XTOL really is a good developer though it is hard to get other than in REALLY large cities or by mail.

Check out Photogaphers Formulary and learn to mix your own brews. That is the best way.

Richard Knoppow has an extensive library of the technical side of this, while I have an extensive library of the user's side of the house dating back to the time when folks still really worked in the darkroom, back in the Lngago, when digital was a code word for masturbation.

Somewhere in my notes I have a process used by the aerial recon photo guys in the SOWESPAC in WWII: the airplane would land, the cameras would be unloaded, and it took about eight or ten minutes to produce prints. The developed negatives had a life of about 30 seconds but, what the hey, they printed them wet and the devil take the hindmost, as the Intel guys just needed the prints to plan the next bombing run, which was already prepped on the runways and rarin' to go.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!