[rollei_list] Re: Tri-X developer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 19:56:12 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 4:31 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Tri-X developer

I think you misinterpret my opinion of Rodinal. It is a very convenient and very reliable developer and will develop virtually any film satisfactorily. Its also a good paper developer albeit a bit expensive for that. I've found it to give good tone rendition with all films I've used it for. I've mainly used Rodinal for sheet film although I've tried it for 120 and 35mm. It is relatively free of developer fog and dichroic fog. This last can be a problem for some film and developer combinations. The main shortcoming of Rodinal is grain but that depends on its dilution and the nature of the film. For inherently fine grain films Rodinal does pretty well. For coarser grained ones the grain may be excessive in comparison with developers with inherently finer grain. There IS some loss of speed with Rodinal but its in about the same class as other developers with bromide in them such as DK-50, etc. Not a major loss. It is not a good pushing developer although some claim that. The main requirement for a pushing developer is that it can increase speed without increasing contrast. This is mostly a property of Phenidone developers. It also must not produce fog as development is extended. In this respect Rodinal does quite well. At some point all developers will begin to increase fog density faster than image density. Rodinal is relatively high in pH which can cause softening of the emulsion in some films with attendent grain clumping. It is also rather low in salt content which also tends to favor swelling. Overall salt content is more important in this respect than sulfite alone. Rodinal has sulfite in it although a relatively low amount compared to D-76 and similar developers. Sulfite does tend toward fine grain for several reasons of which being a halide solvent is only one. Since some modern films have very hard emulsions (T-Max of all types for example) the effect of the high pH on grain clumping is minimal with them.

HC-110 is another interesting developer. It is also very convenient and reliable. It can be used for most films but, like Rodinal, is not optimum. I think the reason Ansel Adams liked it was because its activity can be varied easily by dilution giving a wide range of possible contrast in development without having to work at very short or long times. The characteristic curves of several films which compare HC-110 to other developers show that it can produce some shouldering off on highlights. Some may consider this desirable but low contrast is not the same thing as having detail, in fact its the opposite. Nonetheless, if you are stuck with only one developer for a range of work Rodinal or HC-110 is a good choice. I've never tried HC-110 for print developing but Rodinal at about 1:25 is actually a very good print developer. HC-110 is very interesting to photographic chemists because it is remarkable for its concentration and the use of some unusual compounds to take the place of the sulfite and to maintain the whole thing in solution.

BTW one can mix something closer to an optimum version of D-76 by reducing the amount of sulfite to 80 grams/liter and using the buffered form. This has 8 grams of Borax (granular) and 8 grams of Boric Acid (crystals) per liter. The activity can be adjusted by varying the ratio of Borax to Boric acid. With equal amounts as above the activity will be the same as fresh mixed standard D-76. The advantage is that the activity will not change with time. Also, D-76, when fresh, has a slight tendency to fog. This can be eliminated by adding about 0.25 gram/liter of potassium bromide to it. This suppresses the slight fog and produces a very slight increase in effective film speed. If you use replenished D-76 enough bromide will accumulate from the film to preclude the need for adding any although the small amount above will act as a sort of "ripener" for it reducing the change in activity from fresh to equalibrium state.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx