[rollei_list] Re: The pleasures of the Rolleiflex

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 13:56:42 -0400

Ken,
I know what you mean about printing smaller rather than larger. Smaller prints have a charm all their own. The trend, it seems, is to print bigger and bigger, and the trend, of course, is to print digitally.

It would appear you are going against the trend by printing smaller and getting ready to print in a wet darkroom.

Of late, I, too, have been printing smaller. I find I can make a photo book of my own using 8x10 prints. You know in most of the photo books, the prints are not that big and present nicely. I have also found that one can have digital files printed and bound in books.

I still like large prints, but have gained an appreciation of having smaller versions of them.

As you know, I still use the et darkroom as well.

Best--Doug

Last year I started printing my Rollei shots at 5x5 and 8x8.  (I had
been printing them as large as I could on my R2400.)  I realize that
might seem a bit on the smallish side, but I really like the sharpness
and detail that stands out in that size print, especially in portraits.

There are a number of us here (in Waterbury, CT, that is) who want to
set up a shared wet darkroom.  We've got all the equipment, and the
space. Now it's just a matter of finding the time to do the setup work.

peace,

ken

--
The Rev. Kenneth Frazier