[rollei_list] Re: Rotting Rollei Case Stitching

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 10:58:04 -0400

On Monday, May 04, 2009, at 08:22PM, <jon.stanton@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Some of the best boots I ever owned were Frye boots and I followed Marc's
>procedure as to preparing them. They were very nearly indestructible and
>impervious to most weather conditions. I seem to recall a paraffin conditioner
>for the laces and stitches?  I might be short on my recall there.

Neat cattle being an old word for domestic cattle, and this oil being made from
their feet, this is properly neatsfoot oil. It is recommended as a leather
lubricant for dry climates.
Cotton thread was traditionally waxed to preserve it from rot and to ease
stitching with it when working leather, I wonder does the differing state of
preservation of cotton stitching relate to inconsistent application of wax?
All the best
Larry cuffe