[rollei_list] Re: Rotting Rollei Case Stitching

  • From: Peter Mattei <petermattei@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 22:03:41 -0700

Jerry,

 Not to worry...WD-40, the greatest hat trick San Diego has ever fostered
(not counting Dick Silberman or J. David Dominelli) is composed of a light
paraffin distillate, mineral spirits and surfactants...a simple formulation
that is easily reproduced and now virtually obsolete.  WD-40 is a testament
to marketing, not technology.  People simply do not understand that WD-40 *is
not*  a lubricant; rather, it is a marginally successful water displacing
coating.  As such, it creates a varnish over time and that residual causes
scores of problems with mechanisms over time.  On leather, one would ru n
the risk of having the solution penetrate, soften and compromise the
substrate.  Best to stay away from WD-40.  Buy the stock, though, we're an
abundantly stupid consumer society.

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jon,
>
> NO No no!  WD 40 is petroleum based.    It is great on your guns, but not
> on any leather, stitched or not!
>
> Your statement sounds like the same stupid statements made for Stoegerol in
> the pre-war  Stoeger catalog. :-)
>
> Jerry
>

> jon.stanton@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>> Has anyone considered or tried (half serious here) WD 40?  According to
>> their website it can be used for anything from restoring leather to
>> infertility in farm animals.

> - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the

> the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org

"QUALQUE ORBITUM CIRCULUUM EST"