[rollei_list] Re: Rolleisflex for Artists

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 21:43:13 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marvin Wallace" <Marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 7:13 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolleisflex for Artists

I was considering the content of previous posts, and think it obvious that photography at least with film, is not like being an artist," painter", since the artist can be solely conceptual. The photographer on the other hand must at least be a great technician. He or She is forced to master the technique, whereas the artist can dispense with technique. This mastery of technique is what makes the photographer an artist within the discipline. This high technique lends itself to a quality camera such as the Rolleiflex.

Examples of such photographer technicians are Cartier Bresson, Ansel Adams,
Joel Peter Witkin, Andre Serrano, Cindy Sherman and so on.

Marvin.

I am not so sure I agree with this. I rather think that any artist working in any medium must master it. There are artists who have dispensed with conventional technique but only after mastering it. Photography is odd because much of the most difficult part of the medium has been done industrially. Imagine if you had to make your own materials like painters did until the modern period. Perhaps this is why alternative processes appeal to many: one is required to make at least some of the materials used. For conventional photography the camera, film, printing paper, and chemicals are all available ready made and have been for generations. What is required is some understanding of the use of images for artistic purposes (I dare you to define that). I know a couple of people with the "eye", who take great pictures but have only a rudementary understanding of the technical side of photography. OTOH, most of the artists I know (quite a few) know all about the stuff they use. I don't think any artist can be solely conceptual.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA