[rollei_list] Re: Rolleisflex for Artists

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:14:25 -0400

Hi Eric,

> Agreed. In the mind of the technician and engineer, it would be a
> orderly/tidy world  if the photographer must be a technical master to
> be any good, but in the real world, the facts reveal a different
> story...

I think most engineers understand that, at least with respect to photography
(which has a high technical content in the first place), understanding the
technology doesn't mean you are good at using the technology.  And,
conversely, being good at using the technology doesn't mean you understand
it.  It typically doesn't hurt having technical understanding of
photography, but clearly isn't necessary to achieve "good" results with
respect to images.

One of the photographers in my studio (years ago) always asked me to set-up
the technical aspects of her studio shots...she was more like an art
director than a photographer in this regard.  Without my technical
assistance, her shots had problems...and with them, they came out fine.
Without her direction though, the particular studio shots she directed,
didn't come out as "artistic" (food photography), at this she was far better
than I was.  I thought it was a great combination, and worked well.  Clients
did as well.

Photography, thankfully, has so many aspects that people can enjoy.  It's
unfortunate that people who are interested in the technical aspect are
sometimes begrudged for it...as somehow, only the "artistic" aspect of
pictures is all that matters.  I think the technical aspects of photography
are underappreciated by some who don't understand them and I believe the
artistic aspects of photography are appreciated (and even admired) by those
who more so understand the technical aspects.

Photography is not always all about the pictures...

Regards,

Austin