[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex traveling

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 17:45:51 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Lehrer" <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 4:36 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex traveling

Richard,

Don't you mean DK-20, which was known back then to have a sequestering agent? I found that D-25 or D-"24"
beat it out.

I just looked at some of my 60 year old negatives (Rollei and Leica developed in Edwal 12 and Edwal 20. To me, those were the best developers for the films of those times (I used Plus-X film, mostly)

JERRY

DK-20 was an early extra-fine-grain developer which relied on sodium thiocyanate as the fine grain agent. It was replaced later by D-25 because is caused considerable dichroic fog on many films. Actually D-25 also causes dichroic fog but less. I've never seen a version of DK-20 with any sort of silver sequestering agent in it. Kodak did put it up in cans up to I think the late 1940's. D-20 and D-25 date from 1945. At one time I thought Microdol was DK-20 but it wasn't. The 1929 paper describing the properties of D-76 mentions a variation which is very nearly D-20, that is, it contains only Metol as the developing agent but still has Borax. D-20 is metol and sodium sulfite with nothing else. D-25 buffers this to neutral with sodium bisulfite. Metol will develop even in slightly acid conditions so in a neutral solution is still active enough to be practical. Evidently the combination of neutral pH, high salt content, and the presense of a lot of halide solvent (the sulfite) results in extra-fine-grain development. Like Microdol-X D-25 loses about one stop of speed compared to D-76. Also like Microdol-X when its diluted 1:3 it becomes an acutance developer and yields full film speed but loses its extra-fine-grain property. D-25 also causes dichroic fog. I don't know what advantage the Microdol formula has over D-25 but evidently there was something that caused Kodak to adopt it as a packaged formula. Previous extra-fine-grain developers mostly relied on paraphenelynediamine either alone or in combination with other developers, usually glycin or metol. PPD is itself a halide solvent. It probably produces finer grain than any other developer but has very low activity so that when used alone it looses several stops of speed and had difficulty in producing reasonably high contrast. PPD derivatives are used in color developers. PPD is also a strong sensitizer for alergies. PPD fell out of vogue as finer grained films became available and as other, less less toxic, developers became available. The derivatives used in color developers appear to be less toxic than the original chemical.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles