[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex traveling

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 17:28:56 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jan Decher" <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:38 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex traveling

Hauke et al.,

I actually agree with Kirk to some extent. The market stand looks dark on my old 2004 eMac and should be dodged. If I brighten the whole image in Photoshop Elements the sky bleaches out.

For scanning on a flat bed this negative should be processed much less contrasty. Will have to see how it behaves in my darkroom. I think, I need to get away from Rodinal and D76 for scanning Neopan 400. Wished I could find some Microdol or equivalent (Tetenal Ultrafin?) anywhere.

Also wished I had taken many more pictures with the Rolleiflex on the last trip. (Trying to ignore the frequent "O, schau mal ein alte Rollei!" reactions around me in Trier).

In Luxembourg I only used a digital Canon Rebel and the pictures don't inspire me at all. Next time I might just take the Rollei (well, maybe also a compact Leica IIIf or Rollei 35...).

Jan

Ilford Perceptol is identical to Microdol-X. You might also try Xtol, while not as fine grain as full strength Microdol-X or Perceptol it is finer grained than D-76 and might make the difference if grain is the problem. One problem you have is using a fast film, its going to be grainier than a slower film no matter what developer you use. While Microdol-X or Perceptol will give you the finest grain the film is capable of its also going to loose nearly a stop of speed. Xtol will give you respectably fine grain with some gain in speed over D-76. Rodinal will not only produce more grain than most other developers but looses a little speed compared to D-76. It is a very convenient developer and yields good results with nearly any film, but is not optimum for any of them.
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA