[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex mystery

  • From: John Wild <jwild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:11:45 +0000

He does say " There seems to be two dark strips on either side of the
negative." but dark on negative equals light on print - has he actually
examined the negatives for light strips which equal the dark strips on the
print?

The dark bands seem to encroach more at the top and bottom edges of the
image. It is almost as if it is due to some curvature of the emulsion of
each individual frame. This could not be the case if this was on a length of
film.

It does look similar to discolouration / uneven development that I have had
in the past when not quickly or properly immersing the sheet of paper in the
developer or not agitating it properly, hence part of the paper (usually the
centre because it bows due to swelling) comes to the surface and thus gets
underdeveloped...

Did the user go to a small processor, who hand printed the B&W prints,
whence this could be the problem?

Alternatively, could it be a problem with a print processing machine? -  I
do not know if they expose-cut-develop or expose-develop-cut.

John