[rollei_list] Re: Automat 'Tropical'

  • From: John Wild <jwild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:41:48 +0000

Further to the previous posts on this subject last month, Ian Parker wrote
to me saying:

"My records of Rollei cameras, giving actual date of manufacture and to whom
sold, starts from 1954. I have the dates from Carl Zeiss - Lens No. 2181156
was delivered to Rollei in November 1937.

Camera No. 699287 was exported to France in March 1938. Lenses were held for
up to a year to cool off.  Now, (during this period) to sell German made
goods to France, the word "Tropical" was used by Rollei instead of "Made in
Germany".

I had several such cameras with the word "Tropical". And one I did have, had
a plaque "Wallis Heaton", so some of these cameras, it would appear, came to
England.

In 1938, prior to WW 2, I am sure a lot of people would not want to buy
German goods. Prochnow did not have the hand written day books giving
Sales of Rollei cameras. I had many of these, but sadly through the fire at
the Hotel and flooding, most were damaged and destroyed."

It does seem reasonable that to sell abroad at that time, German companies
might have to disguise the country of origin - similar to the 'Opton Tessar"
markings

Does this offer the List a favourable conclusion?

John