[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex mystery

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:37:47 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Laurence Cuffe" <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:09 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex mystery

Sander I read your analysis, at first I found your argument that the pattern persisted from frame to frame convincing but when I examined the frames more closely I find that the pattern is not constant. The image of the pressure plate seems to imply that it is not totally flat, so it may be a culprit, however If that was the case I would expect some sort of a problem to be perceptible on the C41 image, which it is not. This would lead me to believe that its a film processing issue or handling problem rather than a camera issue. One distinct feature is the rather sharp and distinct edge to the darker bands at the sides. My thoughts would run along the lines of the following hypothetical conversation:-

How much developer did you put in there joe?
350 mils like I always do.
350 mils? but I thought you were developing 120?
why? does that make a difference?

All the best
Larry Cuffe

FWIW, the "pressure plate" in a Rollei camera is not actually that. Lets call it a back plate. The back plate is spaced away from the film gate. In some rolleis the spacing is determined by legs on the plate which contact reference surfaces on the camera body. A couple of different arrangements are used. The kind of back plate which shifts from 120 to 35mm film changes the spacing when moved. The gap between the plate and film gate is sufficient to clear the thickness of the film and backing paper (or just film in the case of 35mm). The film is actually pressed back against the plate by its springiness, the plate applies no pressure at all to the film. The amount of variation in film position in the gate is very small. If the back plate is not flat the error most appearant will be uneveness of focus. I think this is pretty rare in Rollei cameras unless they have been seriously damged. Again, this is not a light leak, its the opposite of what a light leak would do. I don't think its the camera at all unless perhaps, there was some tape from the roll stuck inside somehow and I think that is so unlikely so as not to be a serious suggestion.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA