[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex TLR with Polaroid Magazine?

  • From: John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 13:02:38 +0100

Volker,

My 6000 Polaroid back does not have glass – nor does my SL66 Polaroid back. I
have not heard of the glass before but this may be a later addition for the
reason in the second paragraph below...

However, there is an optically flat glass with the 3003 Polaroid back to
overcome the fact that the film plane is slightly within the camera body (for
light tightness) – the film back plate is moved forward once the back has been
attached – and the Polaroid film emulsion must therefore be behind this plane.

In the 6003 (later model), 6008 and xAct cameras there is a removable film
plane roller set. This must be removed when using the 4560 rotatable back and
also digital backs. I was told that this should also be removed when using the
Polaroid back, although different sources were undecided. I have not noticed
the Polaroid imaged to be unsharp, although this may not be noticeable unless
examined under a magnifying glass – I only really use the back for exposure and
compositional checks, relying on the viewfinder screen for focus.

The reason is that the 4560 and digital backs in effect have their own film
plane registration which interferes with the camera roller set – although the
focal plane is the same. Because the 4560 magazine has its own film plane, it
puts it in the same camp as you have recently commented for the CRU magazine,
the Hasselblad, in which the back has to be very accurately machined; whereas
the normal 6000 backs use the film plane on the back of the camera body and the
film back and holder are not critical to accurate film registration.

Ref TLR Polaroid film back...

The Polaroid film that was used in the TLR Polaroid backs was the 2-part roll
type that has been out of manufacture since circa 1992. See
http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landdcam-roll.htm

There is mention on the web about adapting these cameras to take Type 100 pack
film and 35mm film.

Impossible Project may re-introduce the roll film in the future...... The wait
probably will be a long one though ;-)

John

On 31/08/2013 13:29, "Volker Muth" <volker_muth@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Carlos,

for my 6008 professional I use a Rollei Polaroid magazine and I always wondered
why there is glass just in front of the film plane?
I never saw this glass in other Polaroid magazines for the 6000 series. What is
the effect of the glass?
For this magazine I use Fuji FP-100C 3x4 inch instant film and it works well.
It comes in a 10 sheet pack and can be bought in any prof shop or online.

Regards,

Volker
______________________
mailto: volker_muth@xxxxxxx

Am 31.08.2013 um 13:31 schrieb CarlosMFreaza:

2013/8/30 Jan Decher <jdecher@xxxxxxx>:
... I guess, my main interest in the Polaroid Magazine I saw in the shop window
was if it could be adapted to my 3.5 E (Xenotar) and if you can still buy
Polaroid film for it.  I assume the answer to both questions is no...

Jan:
      The accesories to connect the camera with the Philips
oscillograph and the Rolleinar 4 are BI, however the Polaroid back can
be used with a Rolleiflex 3.5E and most BI, BII and BIII post-war
models (except Rolleimagics , they don't have interchangeable backs),
you also need a Rolleicopi viewfinder to compensate for the different
focal plane. You can't focus to infinity, but the kit is suitable for
close-ups and macro work without and with Rolleinars, there are
details about the distances in my first post.
You could ask about Polaroid films here:

http://shop.the-impossible-project.com/shop/