[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex TLR Viewing Lens Provenance

  • From: Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 16:11:24 -0500

German to Spanish via English - good grief, its no wonder I'm so confused!

Excellent recommendation - I shall have to buy Prochnow and see if I can get through the untranslated German version.

Mit herzlichen Glueckwunsch aus Kanada,

Mike

Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

OK, but light is not bright anyway and then hell means
"light" too, not only "bright" like you wrote, I
forgot that "clear" is not applied for colors in
English, in Spanish "claro" means "clear" but it can
be used for colors too and the word "ligero" -"light"
could be used for colors as well for the same meaning.

Each one with his book, Parker and Prochnow have
different criteria to distinguish models, I prefer
Prochnow in general for several reasons but I respect
mr Parker too.-

All the best
Carlos

--- Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

Alles Klar?  Wait, "Klar" means "clear" in this
sense. :p

Hellrot means "light red" (no question in my mind
about this)

Sorry, you might get the sense that I'm being
argumentative - not the case at all. The photos in Parker are grey too and he describes them as such.

Not being a completely fluent German speaker, one
could take "Hell" to mean "bright", as in unfinished metal - not painted, anodized, blued, etc. I recall it looks like paint on mine but I should re-examine it when I get home.

Any German speakers willing to stand and be counted?

Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

It means "clear" too, do you know the Rollei
"Hellrot"
filter?

All the best
Carlos
--- Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

"Hell" means "bright" - my German is a little
rusty
but I was pretty fluent in the past.

Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

Mike, I have the original book in German and the
translation booklet into English by Gunther
Richter
approved by Prochnow, I read both version and
then
improve my bad German. The German word for "Grey"
is
"Grau", the German word for "clear" is "hell". In
the
German version, the camera description says
"Helle
Stellräder...", the English version says " Bright
dials ...", the photographs shown in the Report I
are
B&W and look like this one:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050309131645/www.rolleiclub.com/rollei/tlr/004.htm
And this color one is from John's Rollei
collection:
http://johnsrolleionlypage.homestead.com/files/Rolleiflex_automat_1B_627701_Large.JPG
All the best
Carlos
--- Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

I have seen many early Automats with grey wheels
in
person - many more on ebay. I have never seen one with clear
wheels.
Its definitely a textured paint finish on the grey inserts. Are
you
reading the original German text in Prochnow or a translation?

Can anybody else add some information to shed
light
on this?

Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

Mike, congratulations for your restoration
work,
it
looks professional and the PC socket too.
Prochnow
shows a Rolleicord with the very rare Xenar
4.5/75
and
an adapted PC socket placed beside the taking
lens
lower part.
According your camera serial number it's an
Automat
III model for Prochnow and an Automat II for
Parker.
For Prochnow it would be an Automat III because
it
has
=== message truncated ===

Correo Yahoo!