[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex TLR Viewing Lens Provenance

  • From: todd belcher <todd_belcher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:10:04 -0800

Hi Mike - I am still at work - West Coast time zone :-(
Actually I am not sure the area is sandblasted, rather, it has a sandblasted look. It might have been machined, etched, or sandblasted. I am not sure.

todd

On 2-Nov-06, at 3:00 PM, Mike Kovacs wrote:

Thanks Todd - I am home now with the camera in hand and I agree.

todd belcher wrote:
The 'grey' dials are unpainted metal. The area in question were textured with a rough sandblast. Later versions the same area was painted black.

todd

On 2-Nov-06, at 12:33 PM, Mike Kovacs wrote:

Alles Klar?  Wait, "Klar" means "clear" in this sense. :p

Hellrot means "light red" (no question in my mind about this)

Sorry, you might get the sense that I'm being argumentative - not the case at all. The photos in Parker are grey too and he describes them as such.

Not being a completely fluent German speaker, one could take "Hell" to mean "bright", as in unfinished metal - not painted, anodized, blued, etc. I recall it looks like paint on mine but I should re-examine it when I get home.

Any German speakers willing to stand and be counted?

Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

It means "clear" too, do you know the Rollei "Hellrot"
filter?

All the best
Carlos
--- Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

"Hell" means "bright" - my German is a little rusty
but I was pretty fluent in the past.

Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

Mike, I have the original book in German and the
translation booklet into English by Gunther Richter
approved by Prochnow, I read both version and then

improve my bad German. The German word for "Grey"

is

"Grau", the German word for "clear" is "hell". In

the

German version, the camera description says "Helle
Stellräder...", the English version says " Bright
dials ...", the photographs shown in the Report I

are

B&W and look like this one:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050309131645/www.rolleiclub.com/ rollei/tlr/004.htm

And this color one is from John's Rollei

collection:

http://johnsrolleionlypage.homestead.com/files/ Rolleiflex_automat_1B_627701_Large.JPG

All the best
Carlos
--- Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

I have seen many early Automats with grey wheels

in

person - many more on ebay. I have never seen one with clear wheels.

Its definitely a textured paint finish on the grey inserts.  Are

you

reading the original German text in Prochnow or a translation?

Can anybody else add some information to shed

light

on this?

Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

Mike, congratulations for your restoration work,

it

looks professional and the PC socket too.

Prochnow

shows a Rolleicord with the very rare Xenar

4.5/75

and

an adapted PC socket placed beside the taking

lens

lower part.
According your camera serial number it's an

Automat

III model for Prochnow and an Automat II for

Parker.

For Prochnow it would be an Automat III because

it

has

the Bayonet 1 for both lenses and no engraved

name

in

the viewfinder lens ring. According Prochnow

there

no

Automats with "gray" wheels, they are clear for

the

Automat I and II and black for the Automat III

and

then it's difficult to say if your camera wheels

are

discolored black wheels or darkened clear

wheels...

anyway it's always possible your camera suffered

some

parts change along the years.
As I wrote previously, your camera Carl Zeiss

Jena

serial number is for a lens manufactured on 1941
according the data and date that Prochnow

obtained

from Carl Zeiss archives, if the lens is original
it

onlu could be for an Automat III.-

All the best
Carlos

--- Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

Carlos, I restored this camera to shooting

condition

myself.  I don't own Prochnow, though I probably should!

The Compur Rapid shutter had what looked like a
factory parts PC synch conversion (nicely done) but the synch terminal

was

some sort of non-standard connection located in that position

you

see.  When I restored the camera, I replaced that terminal

with

locking PC socket taken from a junker Kiev 4 camera. So from a collectors standpoint its been modified, but its a wonderful shooter for

the

days I'm in the mood for an uncoated Tessar look.

You can't see the cable release socket but this
camera has the button style release with the cable release socket on

the

opposide side, behind where the lens hood is blocking.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mskovacs/pv/Rolleiflex/ PrewarAutomat1.jpg

Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:

=== message truncated ===

Correo Yahoo!