[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 3.5F with wrong seria lnumbers?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:40:52 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Raid Amin" <ramin@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:54 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 3.5F with wrong seria lnumbers?

Richard,

I have attached a photo of the transport mechanism that was broken.
Krimar had a replacement part.
It could very well have been that the shutter also was in need of some
repair and that's why the self timer had to be sacrificed.

Raid

This is the lever that cocks the shutter. It transfers the motion of a cam which is actuated by the crank on the camera to a ring that runs around the shutter body and in turn operates the cocking tab on the shutter. A drawing makes it much simpler than words. The part can break but I think considerable force would have to be applied to the winding crank to do it. This lever has nothing to do do directly with the shutter so I can't understand why the self-time won't operate. I strongly suggest sending the camera so Harry Fleenor or perhaps to Krikor to find out what has been done to it. The illustrations of the 3.5F show that it has a lever similar to the one on the 2.8E and F which switches the flash synch from M to X and also winds the self timer. After cocking the shutter (winding the film) you should be able to push the lever toward the V marking. It should turn perhaps a third of a turn and stop. When the shutter release button is pushed the self-timer will run. You can hear it, it makes a whining sound. After 10 to 15 seconds it will trip the shutter. Again, this has nothing whatever to do with the rest of the film transport/cocking mechanism and should work unless the shutter was not properly repaired. I am not absolutely certain that the self timer on the 3.5F is not a separate mechanism, someone will correct me if I am wrong about its being integrated in the shutter.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA