[rollei_list] Rolleiflex 2.8D = Amazing

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rolleiusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:04:00 +0100

Got the test rolls back....

I've *never* tried shooting without a meter (maybe once or twice in
B&W years ago), and had no system to go by, and had slide film
(Provia 100) in the camera. So I wasn't expecting anything special at
all. I was out last weekend with the Contax, it was sunny then (like
now) and I remember approx that I used EV11 in the shadows (portraits
of my son) and EV13-14 in the sun (at the beach). That was my
starting point. So I set it at f8 @ 1/250 and went from there.

The thing that amazes me the most is that the exposure of every frame
except one (shots taken outdoors in full sun, inside an old church
and outdoors with scattered clouds) is spot on. I mean dead perfect.
No meter, just guessing. Simply amazing. I wish I could do this every
time, it would save me a lot of time and effort with the meter....

So the test rolls look good. Very good. Maybe not quite as sharp as
the 80/2 Xenotar I'm used to using, but more than sharp enough. Clear
and even all the way out to the corners, no discernable vignetting or
distortion at the edges.

It's a bit hard for me to concentrate on the technical aspects of the
results, as I'm blown away by the fact that I actually got the
exposures so right. Wow.

I'll be back with more as soon as I get over this.

Thor