[rollei_list] Re: Rolleicord IV Xenar Schneider at work

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:03:52 -0500

>      I thought he put up DS-10 as a packaged product but
> evidently not. DS-10 works well for many films but not for
> others as he notes above. Xtol, OTOH, seems to work well
> with any film.
>      I have not heard of any short life failures of Xtol for
> a couple of years now. Kodak seems to have fixed whatever
> the problem was.
>
> --
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles, CA, USA
> dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hope that's true cant see why not I've caught hell on the internet for a
decade now as I'm a big Xtol proponent. The people who say the worst things
are about it are the ones who never tried it. And it's never "failed" me.
And it gave me a big gust of energy a break my work needed in the late
90's.it was like the impossible was happening and my dreams were coming
true.
Pyro though maybe be another pot at the end of a big fat rainbow.

If I do more darkroom work as I've related I'd try what some friends have
found works out very well and conveniently and fear free:
Adding ascorbic acid to existing pre packaged easy to deal with formulas.
Like D76.
It may will be its not so much specifically the ascorbic acid derivative
working with specifically Phenidone in the Xtol. But ascorbic acid of most
any kind working with just about any PQ or MQ *situation. That's what I've
banking on at least and I have seen results from guy who just adds a tab of
ascorbic acid to D76 or other common such formulas and it is like adding
magic.
So if ever try that myself I'll upload the results.
I'd love to rent and or buy some 8x10 gear and maybe run my film in trays.
To me this would make the film workflow well worth it. And fun. And
satisfying.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

* Phenidone  hydroquinone  or Metol hydroquinone.