[rollei_list] Re: Rolleicord III, picture position on film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:16:23 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Kell" <skba.unat@xxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2005 12:11 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Rolleicord III, picture position on
film

> Hello,
>
> recently in April I started with mediumformat. Therefore I
> bought a
> Rolleicord III in quite acceptable condition. The former
> owner has been
> using this camera for quite some time so it seemed to me
> that I should
> have no mechanical problems. I am really amazed by the
> mechanical quality
> of this fifty year old camera. And I am using it more and
> more.
>
> After shooting some rolls I noticed that the pictures are
> not always
> evenly distributed on the films so that sometimes two
> negatives are more
> or less directly adjacent to each other with sometimes a
> longer gap
> afterwards. I have two or three negatives which are
> directly connected
> which is somewhat disturbing.
>
> Since this does not happen with every roll could it be
> that there are some
> tolerances or defects with the receiving spindle? As you
> all know this
> spindle is different with every new roll.
>
> Any suggestions are wellcome!
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Regards
>
> Stefan Kell

   It may be that the camera needs servicing. The film is
metered in a way that takes the thickness of the take up
spool into account. There are a couple of levers involved
which may be becoming sticky due to the lubrication harening
up with time or simply no longer being there. My Rolleicord
IV, which is really quite similar to the III doesn't give
perfectly uniform spacing but is fairly close. I had a
similar problem with it at first due to the old lubrication.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx