[rollei_list] Rodinal, TMax, scanning

  • From: Sanders McNew <sanders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:30:42 -0400

Carlos, I thought I would chime in here.  I don't think it's fair to say that
TMax and Rodinal are "not the best combo."  The two work very well
together, so long as you take the time to find the right recipe for the
exposure conditions for the roll.  TMax has a fairly flat curve, and may
be manipulated to a large extent by exposure and developer.  There
were a couple of interesting threads on this over on APUG by D.F.
Cardwell, that I've posted here before but are worth repeating:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/71428-todays-film-better.html

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/69617-shaping-tone-curve-rodinal-negative.html

Re scanning on the Epson flatbeds:  I scan all of my negatives
directly on the glass of an Epson 4990.  My experience is that the
DOF is adequate to compensate for the difference in film distance
from the scanner lens.  I suspect this is to compensate for the film
bowing in the film holder -- the holders are not precise.

I am curious to hear more about your experience in scanning
underexposed film directly on the glass.  My experience is that it
is a nightmare, because of the Newton rings caused by the bare
substrate on the glass (a problem I rarely encounter with a lot
of developed emulsion in a well-exposed negative).  How do
you avoid this problem with underexposed negatives on the glass?

Best regards,

Sanders McNew