[rollei_list] Re: Rodinal, TMax, scanning

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:23:56 -0300

2011/3/22 Bob Smith <notraces@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Carlos -

> I also find it interesting you get a better scan by laying the neg directly
> on the glass. ....<
> I may try to scan a few negs directly on the glass to see if it makes a
> difference. I've been shooting 4x5 sheets and don't like the Epson holder -
> so I may give those a go.
>
> Interesting - and thanks!

Bob:
        I had written previously that new Epson Perfection scanners
with fixed focus had it at 0.5mm above the glass writing from memory,
now I found the original Epson paper on the topic that I had quoted
previously in very large  discussion on scanners, this document
states:
"...1.Fixed Focus: With this type of focus system, the lens is set to
record everything sharply from a fixed distance from the lens to the
glass scanning bed. The Epson Perfection and GT series scanners use a
fixed focus optics system. _The newest Epson scanners have a fixed
focal point just above the surface of the glass for optimized film
scanning_..." , this is the explanation about to get a better scan by
laying the neg directly on the glass, according my experience the
difference regarding the film holder use is only perceptible for
underexposed negs but you also increase the Newton rings risk for this
case.
The Epson document is here (page 6):
http://ftp.epson.com/pdf/exp16_/exp16_ts.pdf